Sunday, July 11, 2010

Camp Couch

Violet is sick. Well, she is better now, but she got sick. Really sick. The sickest she's been yet.

Last Thursday when I called Robbie from work during lunch he told me that she was running a moderate fever, wasn't interested in eating and had slept on him an extra 4 hours that morning. She wouldn't let him put her down, but hadn't been able to keep her eyes open. Poor baby. Poor Dada, he hated leaving her to go to class that evening when I got home. He reported that she had done ok for a few hours after her long nap, but that she'd gradually begun to fall apart again. And her temp was up a bit more.

After he left for class, a quick assessment of the situation clearly showed that she needed extra TLC. I thought back to all of the things that my Momma had done for me when I was sick and kept in mind Robbie's statements that she didn't want to be put down -- even when sleeping. I remember my Momma setting up a table near Jessica or I while we laid on a couch so that we had what we needed. I figured that the best way for us both to best enjoy the next few hours was if everything was in a central location. I covered the couch with blankets and copious amounts of pillows. Then I collected Infant Tylenol, the thermometer, a sippy of juice, another sippy with water, teething tablets, cheerios, raisins, berries (favorite foods to try to tempt her with), TV remotes, my laptop and, of course, my camera. Thus was born "Camp Couch."
Even as I was setting things up and asking Violet to be patient while I set up "Camp Couch" I knew that we were starting something new that will probably last a long time. I can imagine Violet even as one of those dreaded teen things I hear so much about telling me "Mom, I feel crummy. I think I need a Camp Couch day." It's a good feeling to know that even something as silly as this will possibly have a long-term positive effect on our relationship!
Violet slept on me for a little over two hours. I've never seen her like that. I was a little scary, but it was also nice to know how much she is still comforted by the arms of a parent... (I wish I could learn from that to seek my comfort in the arms of my 'Parent.' Ah... but that's another blog.)

When she finally woke up a bit, I really wanted to encourage Violet to drink to keep her from getting dehydrated. She was having none of that until I thought of using the old straw trick! Sucked some Apple Juice right down then!

Oh and we never did figure out what illness was effecting our girl. The fever has gradually gone down and although she is still pookie, we're seeing more and more of our sweet girl in her "normal" state of mind. I'm hoping that it doesn't come for a long time, but when it does I know that "Camp Couch" is going to be a good day!

1 comment:

  1. I read this before but really thought about it and we will have to do the same thing when Abigail gets sick. =)

    ReplyDelete