Thursday, August 5, 2010

The fourth "G"

So I thought that I was being cute and kitschy when I decided to make the Gillam blog about:
Growing
Going Green
Goofing Off
I now realize that there will be one more "G" that will pop up frequently here and that is the topic of all things "Gluten-Free!" For those who don't know, gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye and barley, and is a frequent allergen for many folks -- including me! Gluten containing ingredients are found in almost EVERYTHING, so being truly gluten-free is no easy task!

Ever since I read about BBQ pizza on one of my favorite blogs, I've been really excited to give it a try! I finally made the opportunity this weekend when our friends, Melaine and Jeremy, came for dinner with their baby, Elias. I used the same recipe that I usually do for pizza crust, but doubled it:

1 T dry yeast
2/3 c. rice flour
1/2 c. tapioca flour
2 T dry milk powder
2 t xanthan gum
1/2 t salt
1 t unflavored gelatin powder
1 t Italian seasoning
2/3 c warm water
1/2 t sugar
1 t olive oil
1 t cider vinegar
(from my fave gluten-free cook book)


After the double batch of dough was made, I cut it into 8 sections and then began to form the pizza crusts. This dough, as are most pre-baked gluten free recipes, is very sticky! Gluten-free flours tend to be drier then wheat, so extra moisture is usually in the recipe to create a delicious final product. I was concerned about the stickiness, so used a generous dusting of rice flour on wax paper as my surface to press and stretch the crusts.


I eventually learned that once they were formed, I didn't need to keep the crust on the wax paper to keep them from sticking. YAY, because I didn't feel that all of the wax paper going in the trash was in congruence with my "green" philosophies...


I then simply follow Linda's instructions as outlined in the blog mentioned above:

Grilled the crusts directly on the grill on one side.

Look at the pretty grill marks on the half grilled crusts! When "decorating" the crust, make sure to put the toppings on the grilled side!


Pop the topped pizzas back on the grill, with the lid closed to help melt the cheese:


And Voila!


Wish that I had thought to take photos of my happy 'customers!' The next day, the other 4 crusts were enjoyed with our wonderful neighbors, Al and Julianna Castro. Next time, I plan to triple (or even more) the dough and try freezing the crusts after the first side is grilled. Hoping that this will make meals on those "difficult" night a little easier and help us avoid the drive-thru!

1 comment:

  1. I spent some time on your blog today. Love it! You young mommies are so lucky to have such a way to record the lives of your kids in such a neato format!
    Thanks for being such a loyal follower/commenter on our blog. And linking your pizza entry to mine! See ya soon.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete